This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure for more info.
Creating a blog on the current website is a good way to spread your business information. Previously, I have shared the 5 reasons why a business needs a blog. Then today, on how to own the blog.
Some traditional website doesn’t have blog section but in the new way of promoting your business, having a blog is beneficial to your organization.
If your website does not have a blog, it’s good to start today but how to start? In this article, I will focus on how you also can create blog on current website. Hopefully can assist you to have a blog.
Since I’m using WordPress and cPanel to create the blog, then in this article, I’m only showing you how to create using this platform. You may also use other blogging platforms such as Blogspot since the concept is almost same.
So, Let’s start.
1. Added a Blog on WordPress Website
If your current website is using WordPress platform, then that’s a great news since WordPress is established mainly for blogging purposes.
In WordPress, it equips with tons of features to benefit your business needs. Therefore, create a blog on current website become much easier.
The above website without blog section
To start a blog section on that website, simply using Posts module and add a page called “Blog”. I will show to you how to create that page and eventually become a website with a blog (like below image).
How to do that? Follow below steps.
- Create a new page named “Blog”
- On current menu (Appearance -> Menus) which contain previous page (Promotion, Our Customer, How to Order, About Us, Contact Us), add that Blog pages to the menu structure. You may organize the order according to your preferences.
- For Blog section, I normally set after important page (Promotion/Discount/Free Sample) because to attract the visitor. You need to show to the potential customers why they should buy from you rather than other websites. So, the important page is the main gate to get the attention.
- Then click on Settings -> Reading, under Your homepage display for A Static page, choose:Homepage: The main page of your website for example Promotion
Post page: BlogThen click Save to apply the setting.
- For the website that using WordPress, normally I’m using static page as Homepage because it’s the main focus of the product (or service). For example, I’m using Promotion page as Homepage to quickly attract visitor action to get the offer.
- The Homepage is will redirect the Promotion info to the root of the domain or home. For example, when a visitor browses to www.fivetopic.com, WordPress actually get the information from Promotion page as we set this page as Homepage. (This is only for example).
- Back to the Blog page. So when you browse to the main website, it will show the Blog page at the top of the website.
- You can click the Blog page and it will show the blog post created before. This is the Blog section. For your information, in WordPress, the default blog post is Hello World.
- To create a blog article, navigate to Posts – Add New. Then you may start writing your very first blog article to share more about your business or services.
What about if your website not using WordPress? Don’t worry. Move to point #2 below.
2. Create Sub Domain on Current Website
If you’re using the different platform from WordPress for current website, you can use a subdomain to achieve that. Subdomain is a separate domain created from the root domain. For subdomain, you can create as many websites as you want according to your need.
No limitation but for business purposes, usually 3 or 4 websites is enough but thenit depends on your business strategy. You may host a completely different website using that subdomain. The example as below:
Main domain: http://www.fivetopic.com
Subdomain 1: http://blog.fivetopic.com (to create a blog. I will show in details)
Subdomain 2: http://subscribe.fivetopic.com (maybe to create a landing page to collect email subscriber)
Subdomain 3: http://productA.fivetopic.com (maybe to promoting Product A on single salesletter)
Subdomain 4: http://productB.fivetopic.com (maybe to promoting Product B on single salesletter)
So, how to create a blog on subdomain your website? Follow the step below:
- Login to your cPanel web hosting.
- Go to Subdomains
- On Create a Subdomain fill up information for the blog. Ensure subdomain is naming as “blog” and the domain is your current website. Click Create.
- Then, navigate back to cPanel Home, choose Softaculous Apps Installer then click WordPress.
- On Install tab, click Install Now.
- On Admin Account, create a username and choose a strong password for security purposes.
- In the In Directory, it is advisable to create a folder name called “Blog” because easy to trace the subdomain folder.
- Finally, click Install. Once complete, your blog is ready to use.
- To start posting an article, log in to administrator blog and create Post
For the complete installation of WordPress blog, I will share the step by step on coming post.
3. Create a New Blog
This is entirely different domain name. For instance, if your main website is www.healthproduct.com, then for the blog you may use another domain name like healthtips.com. It’s related to your business niche.
For the tips to acquire a good domain name, you may read on 5 Tips How to Choose Domain Name for Your Business Blog.
Even it’s different domain name but I recommended to use the relevant name since the blog is the gateway for the visitor to reach to the main website. Since to create a blog on the current website not applicable on the #3 step above, a new domain is a must.
For the new domain name of the blog, you can use existing web hosting if the hosting allows for additional add-on domain. If the add-on domain fully occupied, the best way is to get a new hosting with minimal investment.
At the moment, web hosting SiteGround has offered 60% discount for the business who want to have a blog or website. Normal price is $9.95/monthly.
With the offer, you only invest $3.95 and can enjoy the saving for the whole year. Its a great value for the business owner to save the operational cost.
Create a blog with different domain technique mostly uses on the e-commerce website. Since the e-commerce website only publishes completely on product description, then the blog is to justify the big picture of the product.
For instance, e-commerce website sells a product to treat diabetic. So, in the blog, you can share about how to use the product, testimonial from the diabetic buyer, video on the treated diabetic and many more.
When the potential customer read the blog and gain the benefit of the product, they most likely interest to know more and certainly will bring them to the main website. That’s the main purpose of having a blog for business; to drive interest visitor and convert to sales.
Let’s digest below flow.
In summary, create blog on current website are very useful to your business. As we all know, the fundamental of the business principle is not entirely to sell and sell and sell.
A great business actually happens when the owner is engaging with the customer by sharing continuous benefit knowledge to them. With the blog, you can achieve that objective.